Who I Am
I write features, profiles, and blog entries for major outlets, along with advertorials and "edvertorials." I’ve contributed to four books. The New York Times praised my work for a travel anthology.
My work frequently appears on UtneDigest.com, TheAtlantic.com, TheAtlanticCities.com, TheAlanticWire.com, and GuernicaMag.com. My magazine work has appeared in Time Out, Maxim, and USAirways.
Copy writing and ghosting clients include: a politically centrist group for whom I blogged daily, Knob Creek Bourbon (I wrote their Website), Capella University (their Web and print infographics), Lincoln Motor Co., Zezza/Tenthwave, The Economist, The Atlantic, Condé Nast Traveler, and The New Yorker.
I'm a former editor and writer of special sections for The New Yorker magazine. I’ve been a managing editor at Forbes, Inc., an editor of a celebrity-oriented glossy, a research editor, an associate editor, and a fact checker.
I'm also a Senior Editor/Fiction Editor at Guernica. Esquire cited my work. The pieces I’ve edited have won awards such as Best of the Web, Best of the Net, and Africa’s top literary prize.
My fiction has appeared in many journals, been anthologized, and nominated for prizes, including a Pushcart and Million Writers. I’ve received scholarships—most notably to the Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference and the Summer Literary Seminars, in Russia. I also speak about writing and editing at conferences and universities: New York, Boston, Vermont, and Lisbon, Portugal.
My Info and Clips
Books I Contributed to
- Meakin Armstrong on Peter Stamm on Guernica
- Haniya Rae on Peter Stamm on Guernica
- Loree on Belated Posting: Publishers Weekly on Guernica
- Last Night’s Reading | Meakin Armstrong on Reading: Freerange Nonfiction, May 5th
- Last Night’s Reading | Meakin Armstrong on Reading: MR. Beller’s Neighborhood, Feb 14th
- A New Flash Fiction Piece Up at Joe + Gigs
- An Evening with Guernica: Bravery and Gender in “Confessional Writing”
- Guernica at AWP
- Best of the Net – Another Award for Guernica Fiction
- Come to the Latest Guernica “Salon” on the 17th
- Most of This is True
- The Slush: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES
- Coming Up: A Guest Editor Gig
- New York: I Still Love You Best
- New with Guernica, Two Stories Every Two Weeks
- Pessoa’s Birthday and Soon: Off to Lisbon
- Peter Stamm on Guernica
- Alix Ohlin on Guernica
- An Infographic Spread in The Atlantic
- Ghost-Blogging, Twice a Day, Every Day
- Editing a Nobel Laureate
- AWP in Chicago
- Start Your Own Magazine: What do You Need to Know?
- Peter Orner in Guernica
- Breyten Breytenbach in Guernica
- Join Guernica for a Seventh Anniversary Celebration
- Guernica Contributor Wins Nobel Prize in Literature
- Amitav Ghosh in Guernica
- Blogging About Sustainability
- I Interview Craig Thompson of “Blankets” and “Habibi”
Tags"bread loaf waiter" AWP 2008 book Breadloaf Bread Loaf Bread Loaf Writers' Conference By Meakin Armstrong Colbert Report Columbia Film School conference copywriter Copywriting Cornelia Street editing Fiction Fiction Editor Freelance Writing Ghostwriting Guernica guernicamag.com Guernica Magazine Guest Editor InDigest japan Journalism Melissa Bank Mr. Beller's Neighborhood My clips New York Calling nonfiction Novel Pen World Voices Public Reading reading Reaktionbooks rewriting Sad Clown SEO The Atlantic TheAtlantic.com waiter waitership work-study scholar writers room writing